Without a doubt, this tour traverses the most multicultural few blocks you will find anywhere in the city, with Mexican, Portuguese and Latin American influences. Eat up!
What’s Featured: Visit one of Toronto’s oldest neighbourhoods
The Food & Drink: Enjoy 14 tastings at 12 different shops and eateries
Meeting Point: Inside the main market doors, 93 Front St. East
Time: Tuesday – Friday 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. and Saturday at 11 a.m.
Duration: 3.5 hours
Tour National Geographic’s “best food market in the world”
Taste where Toronto began! Over 200 years ago, indigenous people traded goods from canoes and fished for salmon on the shores of Lake Ontario, just behind where the market stands today. St. Lawrence Market has been around longer than Canada and the city of Toronto itself. In 2012, it was named best market in the world by National Geographic.
Our tour begins with a visit to one of the six original coffee roasters in the city for a cup of wake-up juice followed by a visit to the market’s most famous organic bakery for some freshly baked goodness. Next we head out for a short walk and a brief history lesson through Old Town before we duck back into the market to sample Portuguese treats, authentic Jewish bagels, candied salmon (sometimes referred to as Indian candy), local Ontario cheeses and charcuterie, wild game, mustards, genuine Ukrainian perogies, and butter tarts. Of course, we can’t forget the iconic Peameal bacon sandwich, enjoyed by chefs such as Emeril Lagasse, Anthony Bourdain, and Guy Fieri when they visit “The Six.” Follow our guide behind the scenes to see some of the oldest origins of the market and hear the story of how one of the richest, most powerful and famous women in the world earned her business acumen selling carrots in the basement of the market.
If you love food and you love history, this tour is for you!
- What's Included
- All preselected food and drink
- Restaurant taxes and gratuities
- Small group walking tour with local food and drink expert guide
- Vegetarian options are available upon request
- Gluten-free and vegan options may be available. Please inquire at time of booking
- Please indicate any dietary restrictions or food allergies at time of booking
- What's Not Included
- Tour guide gratuities, at your discretion
- Souvenirs and personal items
- Any extra food and/or drinks you may wish to purchase
- Transportation to and from tour starting/ending point
- Alcoholic beverages
- Admission to market gallery or St. Lawrence Hall
- Important Information
- Tours run in all weather conditions; please dress accordingly. A moderate amount of walking is involved; please wear comfortable footwear
- Baby strollers may not fit in all restaurants and may require being left outside
- Proof of age may be required, please bring government-issued photo ID
- Please note tickets are final sale and are NON-REFUNDABLE but are transferable. If you absolutely cannot make it, please feel free to give them to a friend or relative. They will love you for it
- If you wish to exchange your tickets for another date you may do so by calling our office at 416-699-7784 at least 7 days in advance of your regularly scheduled tour date. A $15.00 fee per guest will apply. We are sorry but we cannot exchange tickets for tours scheduled within 7 days
- The tour leaves promptly at the designated start time. If you are lost or running late, please call 416-699-7784